- Prepare the vegetable stock.
- Clean the pumpkin, get rid of all skin and the seeds and pulp in the centre.
- Cut the pumpkin into small cubes and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and also cut into cubes and set aside.
- Peel and clean the onions and chop finely.
- Put the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and gently fry until the onions are clear and just beginning to brown.
- Add the pumpkin and potato cubes and stir well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently and then add enough of the vegetable stock to just cover the vegetables. Add pepper, and salt if you are using it, to taste.
- Leave to cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring every now and then, and adding the vegetable stock a bit at a time until it is all used up.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove from the heat, allow to cool for a few minutes and then, either with a food processor or a hand held blender, whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the cinnamon and the ground nutmeg and stir thoroughly.
- The soup is now ready so place on a very low heat to keep warm while you make the croutons.
To make the croutons
- Cut the bread into fairly large cubes and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle the oil evenly over the top of them.
- Grill for a good five minutes, turning once or twice to brown them all over.
Divide the soup between four warmed bowls and place the croutons lightly on top.