Pizza at Home
Authentic Italian Recipes - Apple Strudel
Apple Strudel This recipe, with its strong Austrian connections, may not seem typically Italian. However, we have included it as a reminder of the tremendous variety of Italian cuisine. It comes from the region of Trentino-Alto Adige, in the far north-east of Italy, which has strong, historical connections to Austria and where German is still the first language.
- 6 small, sweet eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into very small chunks
- Juice of half a lemon
- 100g sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50ml water
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 50g raisins or sultanas
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Mix the small chunks of apple with the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and water and cook gently until the apple just begins to soften.
- Add the raisins and breadcrumbs to the apple mixture, stir well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Lay out one piece of the filo pastry and brush all over with butter. Repeat the process with all four sheets, placing them one on top of the other and buttering each time.
- Place the apple mixture along the centre of the filo pastry. Brush the long sides with a little water and then roll the long sides inwards to form a thick 'sausage'.
- Place seam side down on a baking tray and brush the top with the remaining butter.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until the top is a pale golden brown and crispy.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with fresh cream or vanilla ice cream.
You might also like...
- Italian Education
- Province of Imperia
- Saint Valentine
- Sara Scazzi
- Region of Tuscany
- Sailing in Italy
- Marcello Mastroianni
- The Colosseum
- Region of Basilicata
Pizza at Home