Abbacchio alla Romana
Pizza at Home
Authentic Italian Recipes - Abbacchio alla Romana
Abbacchio alla Romana (Roman Spring Lamb) Serves 4
- 1kg leg of lamb, cut into largish chunks
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 45ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 00ml white wine
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 800g potatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Combine the flour, salt and black pepper and then thoroughly coat the chunks of lamb with it.
- In a large, wide, ovenproof pan with a lid, heat the olive oil. Add the lamb and cook over a fairly high heat for 10 minutes, turning constantly until all pieces are nicely browned.
- Add the crushed garlic, sage and rosemary sprigs and toss well until all the meat is covered with the herbs.
- Combine the wine and vinegar and then add to the meat in the pan. Once boiled, turn the heat down to medium and continue to cook until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Add the sliced potatoes and 160ml boiling water, stir quickly, cover the pan with the lid and transfer to the hot oven.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes until the meat is tender and the potatoes are cooked through. If it starts to dry out add a little more water and stir thoroughly.
- Once cooked, transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve immediately with fresh, green vegetables.
You might also like...
- Province of Novara
- Viareggio Carnival
- Visiting Italy
- Province of Roma
- Choosing an Area to Live
- Province of Pordenone
- Province of Reggio Calabria
- The First Republic
Pizza at Home